Friday, November 19, 2010

Better than Before


Alright, so last week was a tough one. That’s why I waited as long as I did to post this blog – I didn’t want to send enormous bad vibes into the universe.

But Today! Oh, Today! Today was great! I loved Today and I’m pretty sure that Today loved me back. Let’s count the awesomeness (as only a mathematician would do (and yes, I still consider myself one even if some of you have differing opinions)).

1. I woke up just in time to get ready for work. This may not seem like much, but it’s really a miracle since all my alarm devices have either been stolen or went away (phone, ipod, Meagan who would give me a wakeup call).

2. I forgot my lunch at the hotel and had to walk back in the sweltering noon sun. Now you might think that this is unfortunate, but just wait.

2a. I stopped to chat for a minute with Monica who owns a little stand on the street just down from where I work. She sells water and juice and laundry detergent (I really should buy something from her sometime). Sammy, a guard at work, was there as well and he asked me if I have a Ghanaian name. Since I didn’t, he asked me what day of the week I was born. I, of course, like most of you I’m sure, have absolutely no idea, so I told him Saturday. Saturday sounds plausible. So...... my name is Ama. Don’t wear it out, like you did with the other one. This one doesn’t quite roll off the tongue like my Burkinabe name, Wurodelakia, but it is a lot easier to remember.

2b. I got a coconut off the tree!! How exciting is that. This guy, Joseph I came to learn, was half way up a tree and he called to me. I told him I wanted a fresh coconut so he did a little chopping and threw it down. I took it back to the hotel and Toffic, the front desk guy, is going to see what he can do about getting it open for me. I’m sure Martin will help (the waiter).

3. I made my deadline on both papers I was writing!

4. On my walk home, Monica’s daughter, Abina, was just getting home from school and she ran to me and gave me a hug! She’s such a cute little 7 year old. Her adorable 5 year old brother, Goofy (not pronounced the way you’re thinking), saw how brazen she was and followed her in for a hug too. (They now hug me every time they see me. Makes me smile every time.) Their 9 year old brother, Kwasi, has started giving me hugs too. What a great family.

5. Went to dinner with some new friends (I guess they’re all new at this point). It was a fantastic Lebanese restaurant and eight of us around the table. After that we went to a music joint, where they played a little bit of African music and a lot of American music. There was a pretty nice rendition of Over the Rainbow in there.

So it was a good day. I feel like there have been a lot of ups and downs since I’ve been here; makes me want to go home. At least life is stable at home. But at home I wouldn’t have random children giving me hugs nor coconuts being thrown for me from men in trees. I guess I’ll have to go back and forth and hope for the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment